Uh, I don’t want to make cheeseburgers mid-week, especially knowing he probably won’t him time or space to eat them.
Husband is a software engineer and he works late hours. Often they feed the team at work and if I cook dinner it goes uneaten. Either because it’s too much of a chore to have a sit-down dinner at 10pm or because he’s not that hungry.
So, to combat this time-space issue I started to make, essentially, heavy appetizers for dinner.
Once Husband noted, “You like making food in cupcake tins…”
“So? It’s never been to your detriment.”
“True,” he said, nodding as he shoved the last half of a Taco Kiss into his mouth.
I combined my passion for cupcake size food and Husband’s need for quick, easy and meaty dinner to make Cheeseburger Cupcakes or Nerd Burgers™.
How to make Cheeseburger Cupcakes
1 pound ground beef (I used 85% because there was a picture of a burger on it)
1 tube of French bread (the refrigerated canisters that you unravel to open)
1 package of Colby Jack cheese sticks.
onion powder or chopped onion
Cooking oil or a non-stick pan and non-stick cupcake tin
- Preheat oven according to instructions on your tube of bread.
- Cook onions until they soften a bit before adding meat.
- Brown meat, but not too much as it’s getting cooked again with the bread so you don’t want over cooked burgers. (Drain oil from meat.)
- Roll out the bread so it’s flat. Stretch the bread a bit to … stretch it.
- Cut the bread into about 12 pieces.
- Shove each piece into a slot in your cupcake tin (NOTE: if you have a nonstick tin and spray it with cooking spray, you end up with greasy burgers.) They should be open wider than the slots because they have to close and contain all the stuffing.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the beef mix into each slot.
- Top of the beef mix with a bit more than a square of cheese (I used kitchen scissors or cut the cheese (teheheh)).
- Close up the dough.
- Put it in the over for the time suggested on the package (mine was ten minutes)
- Serve and either dip in or top with ketchup and or mustard!